Joshua pulled yet another stunt by making me take on my annual meme (and in January, no less. Now it becomes extremely difficult to ignore any other meme I will be tagged with between now and 2008). Here it is: Here’s “Five things you don’t know about me”
1. There are more computers than family members in my house. Which is sad really.
But I am cracking the addiction. We are down to an even ratio now, one PC per house member.
At one point, the ratio was something like 4 to 1 while I was building the 2nd of 2 beowulf clusters that I have built, one as a school project and a later larger one for fun.
2. Although I wanted to be an architect growing up and did all the right stuff along the way to make sure that happened, computing distracted me enough that that dream is now long dead (and that does not bother me a bit). My background is actually in physics which was a great foundation for the work that I do now.
As an aside, I now sometimes wonder if there really is a way to make a living as a physicist in Africa without going into academia?
3. I crave adventure but sometimes look for it in the wrong places. This, unfortunately, includes enjoying crocodile (taste like chicken!).
At one point, I wanted to bungee jump into the Victoria Falls but I missed the event due to a logistical thing that led to me not making the transport that was taking us there. Some friends did it though and they rub my nose in it whenever they can.
Today, If I had a chance to, I would do it in a New York minute.
4. My wife does not know this yet but I want to have lived for an extended period of time on each of the six continents before I die. I have 3 of 6 (Americas, Africa and Europe) under my belt so far.
5. I was just reminded the other day by my mom that until I turned 5, my right foot was way bigger than my left. And I mean way bigger. I think there was maybe a 4 size difference. I had to have special shoes made that involved going down to some place in Kabete since no one in Nairobi sold shoes in different sizes in the same package. The reason this came up is that is seems that my son has the same dramas going on.
For a little bonus, if you would like to learn more weird stuff about me, you can pick up a thing or two here.
Whom do I want to see doing this?
In all honesty, while I can think of lots of people whom I would like to see do this but most of them seem to have already been though this meme. I would hate to have anyone go through the stress of writing a piece like this like I did so it hurts me not a bit to list lists and name names.
– JKE of course. Ha. Got you! Sweet revenge!
– Maitha (you have to read in Swahili)
– M Maybe we will find out his real name?
Oh, it said 5 people: here is one more.